Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Just Clowning Around

On Friday evening, I painted, in clown, at a school carnival in Franklin Lakes.  It was crazy busy, so no photos, but it was fun, despite the heat and humidity, plus divebombing gnats and mosquitoes.  Ah, the adventure that is outdoor employment!

The kids were good, and there was one terrific girl who helped me end the line when it got late.  I promised her an awesome face in return for her assistance, since I sent her down the line with a full paintbrush, to number the rmaining kids' hands.  The idea was that if you weren't already on line, you weren't getting painted.  She actually staved off several kids who tried to muscle their way in, brave soul that she was.

She was going to be my last customer, and I was all set to do her up with a full face tiger (her previous request) and tons of neon yellow glitter to go with it.  She got into the chair.... and requested her name, Brianna, across her face.  That's it.  Sigh.  I felt bad that she waited all that time and helped so much for just that, but if that's what she wanted, that's what she was getting.  I did use my best handwriting and tons of glitter, at least.  And she was happy, which is what matters in the end.

Meanwhile, it was that evening that I met Patty Cakes the Clown, a very nice guy who's still early in his career.  He twists balloons, though, and is great with the magic.  I started to teach myself ballooning, only to discover that, as infatuated as I am with watching it done, I'm not fond of doing it myself.  So kudos to him!  Also, he's great with the kids and like I said, the magic.  We were trading some magic tips for face painting ones.

... and he's encouraging me to really work up a clown "character!"  I think it's a great idea, so you might be seeing a clowning option from me coming down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails